You’re with your dog for a lovely walk, and he suddenly feels thirsty. Luckily, you see a dog bowl full of water. Will you let your dog drink out of that dog bowl? But is it safe for your dog? Or will you go home to have his safe, clean water?
Going home instead of letting your dog drink out of random dog water bowls outside is the best choice if you are a wise dog owner. It’s safer, and it offers a lot more assurance. Why? Let’s find out.
Should Pets Share a Water Bowl?
Dogs and other pets share bowls and toys. But some facts and health scares about dog park water bowls can make you think twice about letting your pet share their bowl with other pups.
Here are the top reasons you should consider why sharing water bowls among pets is a big NO.
What would happen if dogs shared a water bowl?
1. Dog bowls can become a medium for shared bacteria. It can emerge from communal water bowls, and it is safe to say that they are not inconsequential. Some of the dogs are not even vaccinated. It is common knowledge that dog saliva is prone to bacteria. It is like a potential breeding ground for germs that can affect your dog’s health and can ignite rabies in them. That’s why it is advisable always to take hygiene, especially for dog bowls.
Therefore, sharing water bowls is acceptable but can also cause unforeseen outcomes. A lot of public or communal bowls produce bacteria like:
a. Giardia: This is the most common cause of diarrhea in dogs.
b. Leptospirosis: Another bacterium that loves water. Leptospirosis does not only affect dogs but humans too!
c. Intestinal Worm Parasites: In fecal-contaminated water bowls, we can find infectious eggs of roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms.
d. Coli and Salmonella – They not only induce diarrhea and vomiting, but they can also cause endotoxemic shock, which is lethal and incurable. And the worst part is, people can get infected too!
2. Parvo and Canine Influenza Virus: This is why it is advisable not to use public dog bowls, Parvo and Dog Flu can be transmitted through them. They don’t spread in wet areas, more in dry ones, but it’s better to ensure that the dogs are still safe; we are good pet owners, after all.
3. It also depends on your pet. Like humans, animals can be cautious and have anxiety because of it. Your pet doesn’t want to share belongings with other animals because of the hierarchy or prideful dominance. If that’s the case, giving them their separate belongings is best to relieve their stress and anxiety.
4. Also, remember that certain dogs need exceptional food. Sharing food in the same bowl is not advisable when this is the case. Your dog might eat something it shouldn’t. And can cause harm big time.
As a result, it is advisable not to share water bowls amongst dogs. Like humans, when we go to school, we usually have different lunch boxes to prevent bacteria from spreading and have a sense of ownership. Having separate lunch boxes also showcase our personalities and likes. Dogs feel like this too.
If you have many pets at home, allowing dogs sharing water bowls is a surefire gateway to spreading bacteria. And not only among them but to humans as well. Dogs are playful and loving and lick when they show love. You may not realize it, but you may have picked up bacteria from your pets and shared it with your family, friends, and co-workers. This is why dog and personal hygiene after pet care is essential. It prevents bacteria from building up, ensuring your and your dog’s good health.
What is the Safest Way to Give My Dog Water?
Communal bowls or water bowls for dogs are usual, but they could not be safe. As mentioned, germs and bacteria build up in those places and might harm your pets. So, what is the safest way to give my dog water outside and inside the house?
1. Bring the dog’s water. When traveling or going for a walk, it is best to take dog water with you. It’s safer and more assuring since you know where it came from. When you go outside and are thirsty, you tend to get skeptical about whether the water’s safe in public areas. You either wait to get back home to drink water there or buy distilled drinking water from a shop. The best way to avoid doubting is to fetch water from your house before going outside, with no worries and safely.
Outside, you can stumble across puddles, and your dog can drink off them, but is it safe? It’s the same with communal dog water bowls, but pools can have more infectious bacteria and risks. Puddles usually have chemicals and human pee, so they’re not safe either. For walks outside, it’s best to bring a collapsible dog bowl for easy use.
2. It’s essential to clean your dog’s bowl at least once a day inside the house. We’ve talked about how frequently we clean dog bowls to ensure they’re clean in earlier posts, and it’s a lot of cleaning. We recommend a stainless-steel bowl. It’s simple to clean and highly durable. Unlike plastic and ceramic, it does not break easily. Perfect for energetic dogs!
Where can I buy the best custom dog water bowl for my dog?
You can find the best custom dog water bowls in 4inBandana. They are one of the biggest and most trusted suppliers of dog bandanas and dog bowls. For now, they provide two types of dog bowls: (1.) the collapsible dog bowl and (2.) stainless-steel dog bowls. Both are made of high-quality products that will surely satisfy you and your dog.
a. The collapsible dog bowls are perfect for outgoing dogs and dog owners. It does not only serve as a dog bowl; you can also transform it into a frisbee for fun playtime outside. It does not take up too much space and is very convenient to open. Just pop it up, and you are good to go! It also comes in different sizes, fit for all! Definitely the best certified portable dog water bowls!
b. The stainless-steel bowls are essential when it comes to inside use. They are easy to clean, lightweight, and very durable. They can survive even the most energetic puppies in the world. 4inbandana’s stainless-steel dog water bowls have an anti-slip rubber at the bottom. This technology prevents them from slipping when dogs are drinking on it. They also come in 5 different sizes, making them suitable for dogs of various sizes!
All 4inBandana dog bowls are made out of food-grade, non-toxic materials. You can also customize them however you like, wherever you want! Yes, they ship, and it is for FREE. They also have an excellent service that will help you achieve just what you envision.
Shop at 4inBanada today and become one of their many satisfied clients. Like Pet Go, Pet Smart, and Muddy Paws! Many customers voiced their positive opinions on how excellent their products are. and how happy their little pups are upon receiving them! Such a great way to show gratitude to everyone’s best friend.
What are you waiting for? Visit 4inBandana now and see the perfect dog bowls for your pet!